Friday, June 03, 2005

All dressed up and no folks to celebrate for...

This is the third week in a row.

Since as a Diocesan staff priest I have no parochial assignment, the Cathedral where I have my office has graciously given me the Altar every week on Friday. This is actually to the Cathedral staff's advantage, as the clergy here take Friday as their day off, whereas I take Monday off. So
it's a great deal for both parties...at least when someone shows up.

I showed up to set out the vessels, light the candles, vest prayerfully, and begin Matins by myself (which is not unusual). Usually those who are coming to Mass show up during the recitation of the Psalter or the readings. So, as I prayed the prayer of St. Chrysostom toward the end of the Office, I realized that, again, I was alone and no one would be coming for the Holy Mysteries...for the third week in a row.

My feelings about this are certainly colored by the flesh. As a priest, I look forward to every opportunity to offer the Holy Sacrifice, and am understandably disappointed when that opportunity is missed due to lack of interest of the laity. And I feel what is certainly an unfounded fear that perhaps no one comes because they don't like me...after all, people come during the rest of the week. But as I thought and reflected today in the silence and solitude of the Lady Chapel before the Blessed Sacrament, I realized that maybe I was sensing more than just human disappointment.

Christ longs to have fellowship with his Bride just as she should long to have fellowship with him. The Holy Eucharist is the highest form of that fellowship here on earth. It is the pledge and foretaste of the consummation of the Church's union with Christ in heaven. So perhaps I sensed from the Lord a disappointment that on these particular days not one person could be bothered to come and partake of the Divine food. I realize that life is busy now, but isn't that more reason to start the day at the Altar?

Oh well, I guess this will all be taken care of in eternity, where EVERYONE (who accepted the invitation, that is) will be at Mass ALL the time.

Pax Vobiscum,

RED+

9 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

I would attend if I could!

My parish church only has Sunday services.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

I find that many parishes with daily Masses don't have that many people who attend, and parishes with only Sunday liturgies have quite a few people who would love a daily Liturgy. How ironic!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

BTW, I'll be praying for you as you prepare for Holy Confirmation. You are indeed brave to join us on a sinking ship...but then again, it'll be great to have another among us to help bail water!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Bless you, Father, for your service. "They also serve who only stand and wait." (I hope it is not a faux pas to quote Milton to an Anglo-Catholic!:-))

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

There's no faux pas in quoting great literature!

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My apologies for being the outsider looking in, but I'm curious as to the comment "You are indeed brave to join us on a sinking ship"; what is that alluding to? Is it the status of faith in general today, or is it the Anglican Church?

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

In that comment I was specifically referring to the state of affairs in the US province of the Anglican Communion, The Episcopal Church. But I guess one could say that the Faith in general is under attack in the West...from inside and outside of the church!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger C. Wingate said...

Years ago at the University of Maryland, Wofford Smith and I spent a semester meeting at the West Chapel at noon on Fridays and then waiting for the third person to show up so we could have a eucharist. All Saints Day came around and the third person never showed, so we went ahead anyway.

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification FrRon. I thought that was what you meant.

I read a very depressing blog yesterday on the very subject at: http://catholica.pontifications.net/?p=922

I'm just trying to find a place to fit in and everywhere I read I find people telling the reasons not to be there.

To be honest I'd love to wake up in the morning and have a formal place to pray and meet, but again its a struggle to find the fit and then you read articles like that and you wonder what the heck would I be getting into. Sigh.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home