Monday, January 17, 2005

The "Greener Grass" of other Churches

Many of us well-meaning Anglicans, in an attempt to dissuade those who might "jump ship" to another church in response to our theological Ringling bros. act, often use the phrase "the grass isn't greener on the other side." What we mean, of course, is that they are trading one set of problems in our church for another set of problems in a different church. While this is certainly true, it seems to me that the way we often use that phrase reveals an underlying premise:

All the problems that all churches face are all equally the same, so we may as well just stay and make the best of it wherever we are.

I have long subscribed to the "grass isn't greener" philosophy, but now I am beginning to rethink my position on this. I'm beginning to think that in my well-meaning attempt to keep folks genuinely Anglican (and not Roman, Eastern, Amia, or Continuum), I might just be messing with what the Spirit of God is doing in someone else's life.

Let's talk about green grass for minute. In places where the grass is green, it means that the climate is good for growth. There is plenty of sunlight and rain to nourish the grass. Where grass can't grow is in places where there is too much sun and dryness from lack of rain. Our beloved Episcopal Church, as a whole, is becoming (and in many places is already) a barren desert. There may be plenty of sun, due to the fact that most of our Bishops and our PB are constantly trying to tell us how great things are (commonly referred to as blowing sunshine up the ...). But the showers of God's Holy Spirit are being withheld for the most part. Without a doubt there are Oases throughout the land, but basically what we are dealing with here is a barren wasteland of a church.

What does all this mean? In my thinking, it means that the grass IS greener on many "other sides." It means that the Good Shepherd's presence is going to be more evident and palpable in many other "pastures." Shepherds watch their flocks in green pastures where the sheep can be well-fed, not in deserts where they have to wander endlessly to find a good meal. And as far as one-to-one comparisons of the problem-issues in other churches, I find that these comparisons don't hold up to the light of experience. Many don't mind exchanging a certain kind of liturgy for a place where they can grow in the Lord. Many don't mind trading spiritual barreness for an "extral-mural" Anglican body where the Spirit of God is working freely. Many just want a place where the sacraments are duly administered and the Word of God duly preached.

I must make something clear at this point. I am not advocating a massive exodus from the Episcopal Church (although that is already happening somewhat). I am not suggesting that the only option for those who are truly seeking the Lord is to leave for another body. I myself feel no need to go anywhere else (in part because I am blessed to be in a "green" diocese with a real shepherd). But I, for my part, am going to be a little less judgemental of those who are simply tired of wandering in the desert looking for something nourishing to eat and some living water to drink. It is an issue of vocation and judgement.

It's an issue of vocation where people are concerned. We have to honor what the Spirit of God is doing in the lives of those who simply cannot abide by what is happening in our church at the present time. God is calling people away from the desert so that they may enjoy the abundant life in a greener pasture. On the other hand, God is certainly calling many to stay for one reason or another. God's will is unscrutable at times, but we must be faithful to the calling he has placed on us as individuals.

It's an issue of judgment where the Episcopal Chruch is concerned. Just as God withheld rain from Israel in the time of Elijah, he is withholding the shower of His Spirit on our idolatrous Church at this time. God's judgement upon ECUSA, as David Virtue notes, is not going to be fire and brimstone or thunderbolts from the sky. The slow, grueling bleed-out we are experiencing is judgement enough. Our once proud and vibrant church is shrivelling fast. And people leaving for other churches is part of that judgement.

I'm not going anywhere. God has called me to "fish in this boat," in the words of John Stott. But I am going to be more cautious and prayerful in my advice to those who are contemplating leaving ECUSA. And I am certainly not going to argue that the "grass isn't greener" in every case. Because just maybe it really is.

4 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Blogger Texanglican (R.W. Foster+) said...

Well said, Father. I have friends who have gone from ECUSA to Rome and E. Orthodoxy, and there is no question in my mind that their relationships with Christ are closer now than they were when they were within a barren ECUSA diocese. You and I are fortunate to be in two of the few oases (may God continue to bless the noble Bishops Ackerman and Iker with strength and courage), but many others have been laboring in barren fields for far too long. May God hasten the day when the whole of the faithful Church is reunited. But for now, any movement from apostacy to authentic witness is to be encouraged.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

I certainly share your thankfulness for having such faithful apostles and shepherds at the helms of our Dioceses. I realize that I am not able to sympathize with those in hostile Dioceses because I simply have never had the experience they're having. That's playing a huge part in my change of thinking.

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is not entirely on point to your post, but ... what would you say to someone thinking of boarding the Episcopal ship?

I am an unbaptized outsider who is thinking about Christianity for the first time in many years. I have no idea whether or not I will take the plunge (so to speak), but when I first started thinking about it I remembered what I had learned about Episcopalians many years ago (I am of what might be called "mature years") -- nice liturgy, mainstream theology on main points but "wiggle room" on many others so I wouldn't have to get a B.Div. to be sure I knew what I was signing on for.

It didn't take long to discover the state the Church is in today.

In one respect, the diversity is encouraging. In the Southern community where I now live, I can try the black church (I'm white but they seem like an interesting community), the downtown old-money and Well Established Families church, the upper-middle-class suburban church, the lower-middle class suburban church, and the tiny little church in the old working-class neighborhood. All Episcopalian.

I'll be moving to another area soon, but I suspect I'll have similar choices there.

In a way, it's nice to see the diversity, and to know that I could find a place where I might fit in. Then again, it makes me wonder just what I'd be joining. I will be somewhat mobile over the next few years -- if any Episcopal church selected at random might be Anglo-Baptist, Episco-Unitarian, or anything in between, would I just switch denominations along with my mailing address if the local Piskies weren't my style? Is it wrong-headed to think about it in such terms? Is so-called "church-hopping" a legitimate practice?

You should probably consider most of those questions above rhetorical, to indicate what I'm thinking about. No need to address them all.

But, if you have the time and would care to say, would you advise anyone to board this ship? Or is it all about God's call to the individual (in this case, me)?

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger FrRon said...

I appreciate your candor. In answer to one of your questions, yes, it is ultimately about individual calling. Where is God drawing you in. It's easy to think in terms of us one day deciding that we are considering Christianity again, but really what it is God tugging at our hearts. And so what I would suggest to you is to really dig in and discover what feeds and what doesn't. What saves and what doesn't. Your attraction to socio-economic diversity makes you a great candidate for the Episcopal Church. But not all diversity is a blessing. No matter what some of our bishops say, truth is objective and absolute. It is absurd to say that what is true for me isn't true for you. At least in eternal matters. Wiggle room is only legitimate in matters upon which our salvation doesn't depend. So make sure you find a church that is definately committed to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, anything else cannot be properly called Christian. Talk to priests and ask tough questions. Most importantly, ask God to give you continual guidance in your search. E-mail my personal e-mail address if you want to pursue this further...I am happy to be of any help I can. God bless you on your journey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home